The Development Officer – Major Gifts & Philanthropy (DOGP) will establish and grow a portfolio of individual, corporate and foundation donors, with a particular focus on cultivating, securing and stewarding major gifts to support the NIMML Institute. The DOGP is responsible for developing, organizing and managing all fundraising strategies and activities within the NIMML Inst. This plan includes, but is not limited to, annual giving activities, major gifts, cultivation activities, special events, planned giving, stewardship/donor recognition activities, prospect research, proposal writing directed toward the capital and programmatic needs for the market. This position requires the ability to identify, cultivate and solicit major donors for gifts of $25,000 and over. The DOGP will be responsible for meeting established revenue goals. The position will be responsible for collaborations across a variety of external partners including private foundations, donor-advised funds (DAFs), pharmaceutical, biotech, clinical research, and emerging medical technology companies. The DOGP will launch a capital campaign including planning the campaign strategy and implementing solicitation strategies for a range of philanthropy projects, preparing and providing support to the NIMML President for fundraising events. This position will be completely aligned with NIMML’s entrepreneurial culture fueled by innovation, efficiency and growth that is encapsulated in four fundamental pillars: 1) Be bold and decisive, 2) Never give up, 3) Be solution-oriented, and 4) Do the impossible.
The NIMML Institute is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit public charity foundation focused on transdisciplinary, team-science approaches to precision medicine at the interface of immunology, inflammation, and metabolism. For more information visit www.nimml.org
- Entrepreneurial spirit and innovative drive for reaching the next great idea thinking outside the box and consistently exceeding revenue goals.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to assess risk, identify and address issues and prioritize.
- Demonstrated desire to exceed core customer service responsibilities, standards and behaviors with communication, understanding, sensitivity, teamwork, ownership, motivation, excellence and respect.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and NIMML Institute.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical large-scale fundraising initiatives.
- Supports management in interactions with potential strategic donors.
- Evaluates new business opportunities, markets, and technologies to support NIMML’s corporate development initiatives.
- Identifies and engages on new leads and/or supports negotiations on new agreements
- Prospects, analyzes, and solicits new business development collaborations via relevant databases.
- Helps develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of NIMML Institute that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Engage in research to identify new individual, corporate, foundation and government donor prospects to build and strengthen NIMML’s base of support.
- Develop and deliver impactful presentations to key internal and external prospects and stakeholders that are successful in persuading the target audience in supporting the development initiatives and fundraising campaigns.
- Participate in external meetings with the President for current and potential corporate and foundation donors.
- Direct and execute major gifts campaign.
- Ability to construct, articulate and implement annual strategic development plan.
- Ability to take initiative and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors.
- Ability to solicit gifts; planned giving expertise highly desirable.
- Experience using development database programs.
- High level of organizational and management skills and demonstrated ability to motivate staff to achieve departmental goals.
- Attend, and lead where appropriate, meetings related to NIMML strategy for application areas, licenses, investments, deals and initiatives.
- Faithfully performs any other tasks requested by the President.
- Team-science oriented and data-driven, engendering credibility and confidence within and outside NIMML.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all the NIMML’s deliberations and plans.
- Act in accordance with NIMML’s policies and in alignment with NIMML’s entrepreneurial culture.
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Psychology, English, Communications, Public Relations or an MBA and at least 3-5 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Familiar with a variety of the biotech field’s concepts, practices, and procedures conducive to major gift fundraising.
Career Experience & Skills
- Development and philanthropy experience in medicine and Life Sciences.
- Demonstrated ability to close partnership deals, with track record of success– Deal Sheet.
- Ability to apply critical/strategic thinking to each opportunity.
- Experience structuring collaborations and managing fundraising campaigns.
- Must possess the ability to work collaboratively and effectively with all internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.